Ask anyone that’s ever had anything pierced before and you’ll quickly find out there are lots and pros and cons that come with the procedure itself, but even more commonly, during the healing period or sometimes even years down the line. Nipple piercings are certainly no exception to that rule.
Here are the benefits, pros and cons of nipple piercings you need to know before you get one.
Nipple piercing pros and cons
- Pro: They look AWESOME!
- Pro: They’re really fun to play with (when they’re healed, of course)
- Pro: A lot of people say it heightens your nipple’s sensitivity even more than before
- Pro: The pain during the piercing itself only lasts about 5-10 seconds
- Pro: They suit almost everyone – guys and girls!
- Pro: 99.9%* of guys love them
- Pro: Lots of people that have them say it’s done wonders for their self-confidence
- Pro: You can mix and match the jewellery easily to suit your mood. Anything from barbells, to rings and even shields
- Pro: If you’re the type that does want to show them off, it’s sometimes easy to see them through your top if you’re wearing a light-coloured t-shirt, tight-fitting kit or thin sports bra (this is a con though if you’re trying to keep them hidden)
- Pro: No, if you have standard jewellery in there, it won’t set off the metal detectors at the airport
- Con: It hurts a lot more for guys than it does for girls. A lot of people say it’s the most painful male piercing out of any (you win this round, ladies!)
- Con: Healing takes a long time (usually 6-12 months or more to fully heal)
- Con: During the first few days, it’ll feel like your nipple has its own heartbeat which goes away (this is common during healing of most piercings)
- Con: Ladies can’t show it off on social media. Even in this day and age, “freeing the nipple” is still against community guidelines
- Con: Like with any piercing, there’s a risk that some people can actually lose a bit of sensitivity
- Con: There’s always a risk of getting infected, even if it’s ‘fully-healed’
- Con: You can’t swim or jump in a hot tub for a few weeks after getting one
- Con: If you remove the jewellery, they will close up much quicker than most other piercings, so it might be best to avoid getting one if you’d need to remove it often for any reason
- Con: Can sometimes catch on your clothes when you’re getting changed
*We just made this number up, but most guys definitely love seeing them in girls 😉
The full lowdown on nipple piercings
Hear first-hand from DaVo, a professional body piercer from Axiom Body Piercing Studio, who explains loads more about getting your nipple(s) pierced and what to expect when you get one.
So, based on these piercing pros and cons, are you ready to get your nipple(s) pierced yet?
Want to learn more about nipple piercings? Check out these links too:
- Nipple piercing pictures
- Nipple piercing aftercare (Healthline)
- Learn more about other types of torso piercings
Are you ready to get your nipple pierced yet? Of course you are!
If you’ve been inspired and you’re ready to get your nipple pierced, simply click the button below to find a professional piercer near you.
We hope you’ve learnt a thing or two about nipple piercings after reading this guide. If you liked it, make sure you share it with your friends…It’d mean that world to us 🙂 If you think something’s missing or you were looking for more information, please let us know on our feedback page or leave a comment below.